Alternating area, in many aspects.
Varying from a wonderful nature to many sports opportunities, from culinary highlights to art and history. De Cocksdorp was founded in 1835 by a ship-owner from Antwerp (Belgium), N.J. de Cock, who, together with a couple of gentlemen, founded the “Society of Eierland”. Situated at the “Roggesloot”, an old creek that used to have an open connection with the Wadden Sea. The Cocksdorp gradually grew and especially the last 25 years it gained a totally new character due to the growth of tourist accommodations.
Particularly due to the growth of bungalow park “De Krim” and various parks around De Slufter, employment in these parks, but also in and around the village increased considerably.
Nowadays, De Cocksdorp is the second largest tourist place, after De Koog. Post 33 is point of departure of the boat towards Vlieland. Near De Cocksdorp, in the polder, the hamlets Middle- and South Eierland are situated.